Tuesday, May 16, 2006

One man's advertures with a racing car..the story so far.

So having hit the big four-0h, I decided to buy this car. Its a Westfield Megabusa. It is a super light car (only 470gk - that's about the weight of 5 of me!) with a Suzuki Hayabusa engine in it. If you don't know, that's about the fastest motorbike you can get. It is modified a little to produce about 195 bhp. That works out at 415 bhp per tonne. There aren't many road cars with that sort of power to weight ratio. Maybe a Ferrari Enzo, Pagani Zonda? Anyway, you get the idea, it's awesomely quick. Also, because it's so light, it brakes quickly, handles beautifully and is generally a joy to drive.
I bought the car in serious race trim. No passenger seat, full roll cage, cut out switches etc and set up with about 4cm clearance to the ground. I decided to fit a seat ( which meant removing part of the cross bracing on the role cage) and raised the ride height a bit.
I did a few track days last year. First time out was Snetterton. That was a steep learing curve! I hadn't even put it in gear before that ( I trailer it to the circuit). First time out I couldn't believe the accelleration. I've driven a few reasonably quick cars in my time but nothing in this league. The gear change takes a bit of getting used to. It's the sequential box as on the 'bike. You just push the stick forward for first and then pull back for each up change to 6th. At first you want to push the stick forward when in second to get to third, but that means you get 1st again, and your doing about 70mph! Not healthy! So I've learned to be careful when first out in it now.
Other circuits so far are Mallory Park and Goodwood, and most recently Silverstone.
One of the main limitations on where I can go is the circuit's noise limits. My car is bang on 105db. Lots of tracks have a lower limit than that so I am limited in where I can go, but Donington and Rockingham are on my list.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya james - great car - just one minor point "...There aren't many road cars with that sort of power. Maybe a Ferrari Enzo, Pagani Zonda..." - what about my TT???
Cheers, Andy

8:26 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why don't you two just chat to each other in the office rather than comparing cocks on the net!!

4:05 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blimey James this is all getting serious! Barbara mentioned you needed a push!!! Keep up the good work, looking forward to racing you in my 5.7l Cobra (replica of course...).
Andy P 05-09-07

8:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home