Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Silverstone May 06


First track day of 2006. Silverstone. The full Grand Prix circuit. This is my first time so I'm a bit tentative. I have arranged for a mate from work and I have invited someone from the Westfield Sports Car Club to come along for the ride. First time out I have to remind myself that the tyres need warming up, so the first few laps are a bit slow, following the slower other cars (stuff like Ginettas, Lotus Elises etc). Then I make a complete prat of myself. The first quick lap I do, with no one to follow, I get confused as to where the track goes in the complex and end up in the gravel. No damage, except to my ego. It takes me at least an hour to get all the gravel out from every nook and cranny the car has. By the time i'm ready to go my work mate turns up. So I do a few laps with a passenger for the first time since putting a passenger seat in the car. It feels a tad slower, but not much. We easily pass some really interesting cars like Porsche GT3's, BMW M3, Lotus 340. I think my passenger was quite impressed! God this car is quick!
Later Charlie from the WSCC turns up. I get a few more sessions in with lots more interesting stuff on the track. I had some fun moments following a Ferrari 550 who was trying hard but ended up in the gravel 'cause he ran out of grip. I can't help getting a huge sense of satisfaction from being clearly quicker round a track than some cars worth 10 times what my car is worth ( not that I wouldn't rather have a Ferrari, but that's not the point ).
I really feel as though I'm getting to know this track now. Mind you, on reflection, there are lots of places where I reckon I should be pushing harder next time. Can't wait!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home