Monday, August 20, 2007

Preparing for Silverstone

Ok, on to the next one.
I was hoping to get to Snetterton last month, but the late discovery of damage to the chassis rather delayed things. I had the car checked out by the guys at Spirit, but apart from some minor spanner work, couldn't find anything wrong. I then sent the car to PDQ for a major check over of the engine and to try to solve the cut out problem.
Well PDQ did a great job. They found the cut out problem - a loose connection on the fuel pump which amazingly was coming loose on a left hand corner and then dropping back on again - making it very difficult to find. They also put the car on their rolling road to get the mixture right and stop the flaming problem. It was only when on the rolling road that they found the source of my wobble at Mallory (which I had thought was a puncture). The problem was a broken chassis rail at the front (it was a clean break at the weld, and only showed when the car was stressed, making it difficult to find). So the car went back to Spirit to be welded. Whilst the front end was being taken apart I thought I would get the shocks refurbished, which I knew would need doing soon. I suppose unsurprisingly, what is turning out to be typical of my racing experience so far, this turned out to be rather expensive. The shocks couldn't be refurbed and were shot. So a new set of shocks and springs all round.
Big bills all round. I have done my budget already and only done 2 races! Still, if nothing else goes wrong I might just get away with doing the next 2 or 3 races. We'll see!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home